In our family, we have chosen to live away from wheat most of the time. For me personally, I have been living grain-free since October 1, 2016 to best support my autoimmune thyroid disease, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. The more I studied, the more I learned that the glyphosate (Round Up) sprayed on the wheat is a detriment to my gut microbiome and then my system as a whole. So I took corn, wheat, rice, oats, potatoes, and beans out of my diet and my body has flourished. I have had oat flour on a few occasions, but I can feel its impact on my blood sugar and I’m choosing to stay off of it.
We also minimize the wheat exposure for our in-home cooking and baking and our kids are also doing very well with immunity and overall well-being. For cooking and baking, my husband Dan created an awesome recipe to make some tasty foods to fill the bellies in our family. The recipe is forgiving and can flex with or without the flours mentioned to meet one’s dietary needs. We use this to make pancakes, muffins, and waffles. The possibilities, toppings, and additions are endless!
To Your Wellness,
Email | Online Coaching | In-Person Personal Training | Posing Coaching
4 Eggs, use pastured preferrably
1/2 tablespoon of Organic Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Organic Almond Flour
1/4 cup Organic Oat Flour
1/4 cup Organic Buckwheat
4 tablespoons Organic Coconut Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
Add water to create the proper consistency
Optional: Organic Chocolate Chips or freshly-sliced fruits like berries or bananas
Optional: Can sub out any of the above flours with coconut flour if needed; increase water, as coconut flour tends to absorb a lot
INSTRUCTIONS for PANCAKES:
- Preheat a skillet to medium or medium-high heat
- In a large bowl, mash banana and whisk together eggs with vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix flours, sugar, salt, and baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and thoroughly mix until there are no lumps.
- Ladle batter per pancake onto a coconut-oil-greased hot skillet. Add chocolate chips to taste. We usually drop in 3 per pancake.
- Cook until bubbles begin to form on the top, then flip and cook on the second side.
- Top with grass-fed butter, coconut oil, coconut cream, or fresh fruit
To make muffins or waffles, the same ingredients apply and you can adapt the process to the pan and outcome of choice. Add your desired toppings, nut butters, and enjoy some whole foods wheat free!