I’ve been weight training consistently for five times a week for 10.5 years since the spring of 2012. I got my start at the YMCA in a group exercise class lifting weights. Then I hired a personal trainer for a full year and she taught me how to navigate the weight room and get introduced to many exercises. I eventually became a personal trainer and have kept learning and practicing the hobby ever since.
There are many benefits to weight training, but these are my top five reasons that greatly impact me:
- I’m much stronger and am still getting stronger even at age 48. Being strong feels AMAZING and is quite addicting. I’m here for the long game!
- I feel fantastic in my own skin. Being confident is quite the blessing and will pay you back for years to come.
- My body fat is lower because I carry more muscle on my frame. Weight training consistently for years enables me to have curves from muscle and to keep my body composition in check, paired with a focus on nutrition, of course!
- My metabolism is being optimized. The body’s metabolism will slow down as we age. We will lose lean mass as well. However, there’s a way to head that off. Weight training will help delay that OR even send you in the opposite direction. It’s a must-do and is NOT negotiable!
- I can keep up with my kids. I stay active with them AND I even train alongside my husband and kids. This is very rewarding to me and I plan to keep doing this for decades to come, even with my grandchildren someday!
I love training so much that it’s truly one of my greatest passions. I study it ongoing and am always eager to stay up to date. I have a degree in physical education and am a trained teacher. I use my iron classroom in my private gym to teach ladies how to safely navigate the weight room and make progress with me AND then on their own in years to come!
Info on training with Mindy HERE!